Monday, January 3, 2011

Resolutions vs Goals

Alright, it's day 3 of the new year. We all have resolutions, right? Lose weight, be nicer, be a better person, volunteer more, give to charity, lose weight, get faster, lose my fat ass, get a better bike, get a better job, lose weight, go to the gym more. Look, I don't really care what your resolution is. What I care is that the resolutionists go to my gym and crowd it even though we all know they're going to be gone by March... or at least until their personal training sessions are over.


No. We don't all have resolutions. I don't make resolutions; I make goals. And to accomplish my goals, I work my effin' ass off. It's the only way I can accomplish my goals, whether it's to lose 20 pounds so I can catch those skinny rodies on a hill or to work my ass off so I can get a better bike/set of wheels or components... or maybe to study more to keep my grades up. Whatever it is, it's not a damn resolution - it's my LIFE and I make GOALS in my life, and I work ALL YEAR AROUND to make them happen.


I go to the gym and I see a lot of ads for weight loss. "Work out! Accomplish that resolution!" Hah. Out of the hundreds of people I've seen (I've been going to the same gym for 12 years.. I've seen a lot of people come and go), maybe FIVE have actually changed their life to stay healthy. They don't just "work out," they train. Training is everything. Working out is just something people do to kid themselves into thinking they're going to accomplish that resolution. Well, they accomplish the resolution, but that resolution goes away, and they stop going to the gym. That initial motivation that people get in January dies and the 20 pounds they lost come back... plus 15 more. Sad.


What are my goals?

- Cycle 9,000 miles. In 2010 I cycled 7,548 miles. 9K is an achievable goal.

- Complete more endurance races on my horse. Two sports (once in which I ride in two teams), work, and full-time (plus) school is hard, but my time management skills are amazing. You should make yours just as amazing.

- Not die with all of the units I'm taking this semester.

- Race my bike more.

- Run a full marathon.

- Compete in more duathlons.

- Finish top 5 in some races.

- Go to more races, whether to race or volunteer.

- Be open to meeting new friends. I did this in 2010 and have met some AMAZING people. 2011 is no different.

- Keep being awesome.


More goals will come. I'll be a busy little bee. Join me in goal-making. Don't be one of those annoying resolutionists. Make it life-changing. My life changed so much in 2010, and really, change is one of the best things that we have.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree 100%! Goals are way better than resolutions. Working out to get thinner is a retarded goal and leaves much motivation to be desired but working out towards the goal of having more endurance, being healthier, feeling all around better and kicking ass while doing your active hobbies is a way better goal! Kick bum KC! XD (oh and im following you now heheh)