Friday, April 22, 2011

UNR Collegiate Race Report

Better late than never...

Crit, Saturday April 9
It was windy, it was cold, and there was elevation. I've been having issues with a pinched sciatic nerve, too. The women's B and C were combined, though scored separately. We lined up and off we went.

The race was going great. The more I ride with these girls, the better it gets. I was enjoying this pancake-flat course. The backside was windy as hell, but it was flat and flat is my forte.
Halfway through, that damned nerve shot pain up my spine and down my left leg which make it completely numb. There went my sprints, my primes, any chance of getting top 5. I was pissed and tried to hang on, then I realized so what? It's a flat course, but I can't have every race. It just won't happen. I finished with the group, but I couldn't do the sprint. Sucky. I love sprinting, but it happens.

We stayed to see the women's and men's A races, in which the CSUS riders did well in. We went out to eat and went to bed, ready to race the road race in 35-degree weather.

Wait... WHAT???

Road Race, Sunday April 10
It was flippin' cold. It was 35 degrees around 8:30am. The higher divisions (A/B) went out first since they had longer races. I knew that there was going to be a lot of climbing, so I knew that this wasn't going to be my race and I was freaked out about my leg going numb. The women's B/C started together again. As we were going, a UCD girl almost pushed me over the yellow line (pretty sure she just didn't see me). The yellow line rule was strictly enforced and the Sheriff was following us (had one for every group). Team Rev's coaches (John, Reese, Tank, etc) had been teaching us bumping and being comfortable in close quarters, so I simply tapped on the girl's leg to tell her I'm there. It avoided me getting pushed over and a crash, which was great!

We had all made a unanimous decision at the beginning of the race to start and "warm up" slowly. We followed through. No one tried to take advantage of that for a breakaway. A couple of girls dropped their chains, so we waited for them (Yea, guys! Chicks aren't as catty as you think!).

Rollers. It was going well. I'm glad I "under dressed." Then a climb. The Bs took off. I dropped back. Downhill. Caught a UCD girl who said, "You're an awesome descender. It's my best skill and you're right on me." Nice compliment.

We kept riding down the hill and two other UCD girls joined us. So, 3 UCD and 1 CSUS. One of them said, "Let's all work together. Sac State, you're a B, right?"
"No, a C, but I'm up for working together." So we did.

We saw snow on the shoulder, which cued my "WTF NO!!" As we rode down to the turn around, I was having a blast because hey, downhill. Then, it hit me: I'm going 45+ mph, it's an out-and-back course... I'm going to have to climb back up this.

We turned around and stayed together for a while. When we got to the main climb, one girl went by faster, the other got away, I followed, and their best sprinter got dropped. I eventually caught the 2nd girl and we stuck together to the very end.

As we saw the finish, UCD wanted me to get in front but I stated patient. I had to keep telling myself to not jump too early. She slowed down to get me in front, I stayed back. She knew I was onto her plan, so she sped up. I drafted. Then, the sprint (uphill finish, to add insult to injury). I had it. I sprinted after her and got ahead. Finished 6th. It's not the best finish, but I was happy at a) I learned my lesson and finally didn't pull the other rider to the sprint; b) my leg didn't go numb; c) I can sprint (the crit had me worried. Yea, I know.. a numb leg doesn't help).

It was a fun and cold race. My last collegiate race for this season. It was a decent first collegiate season for me.

My Sea Otter report will come soon.

No comments: