Wednesday, March 16, 2011

UC Berkeley Collegiate Race Report

Those who were to go in my truck met up on Friday, packed up, and headed out to Berkeley. We got there earlier than the others, so we decided to get some coffee. By the time that we found a place, found parking, walked to the coffee shop (because we had to park a few blocks away), and walked back to the truck, the others were close. We went back to the hotel and checked in, got a bit settled, chatted, and decided that we'd go get dinner.

As we were walking down the street, a lady stopped us and said, "GO OVER TO ____. It's the best Greek food around!" Oh, okay. We kept walking and found the place.... so we decided to go in (after some debate). This place apparently had the "biggest" pita sandwich in the city, so we got it. I expected a pita sandwich with some meat, obviously, and a bunch of veggies. Boy was I wrong! It was pita bread stuffed with a whole fucking lamb (or beef) and half a chicken. Where the hell are the veggies!? Whatev. We then talked about nonsense and the race, and apparently the road race had a 2-mile hill at a 10% grade. Yeah.. I knew that this was NOT going to be my race.

Saturday morning, we eat breakfast and head out to the race. We barely made it on time because we got lost. We rushed to our start times. The Women's B and C groups were supposed to race together, a total of 3 laps around the course (30 miles total, 10 miles a lap), but at the start line, the officials told us that we were going to race separately. Okay... Cool. Then, one of the officials asked, "You have a choice. 2 or 3 laps?" A girl yelled 3 so the official said, "Three it is!"

Dammit. I almost got away with being lazy.

So, we start. The group was together. There was a hill at the beginning. One of those easy hills where I can easily big-ring it and feel fine. We went downhill for some time (reached 40 mph as a group, not bad, ladies). Then a climb, a flat-ish climb. We kept going on a flat area where I saw a left bend and went, "Oh sweet! More down hill" when the course peeps yelled "UP THERE!!!"

Oh. Snap. Son.

THAT was the hill. And yeah, I got dropped like a fucking rock. It was hard, it was unexpected, and did I mention that I got dropped? As I was riding through that horrible portion of the race, I was able to pass a chick, whom I found out was a B so it didn't matter. The reality is that only the first part of the hill was hard; the second part wasn't bad at all. Hey, this is why I do flat, sprinty races, okay?

Downhill. Back to the start line for lap #2. Caught a UC Davis girl and passed her on the first hill. When it got back to the horrible hill, she caught be. Damn skinny climbers. Downhill. Lap #3, caught her and another UC Davis chick. Decided to stay behind them so I didn't have to do much work. Lost one girl on a climb after going through Crockett. Lost skinny climber on the big hill. Didn't catch her after that.

I finished the race 14th... out of 16 riders. Hah!

Watched the Men's A, D, and Women A. Went back to the hotel, showered, and we went to dinner. Some italian place that was not very close to the hotel, so we naturally walked over, ate. Went back to the hotel. Slept. Fuck you, day light saving's time!

Woke up, ate breakfast. Went to the crit on time! Found parking, registered. Watched the Men's D and C races. Then I went. Catch. There was a hill.. and an uphill start. I'm doomed.

Race started. Within 3 laps, the leaders were ahead. Stanford, UC Davis, and Sac State. Yeah. Not as doomed as I thought. The thing with this hill was that it was one of those I can easily big-ring. Sweet. Stayed behind the Stanford and UCD for a bit, got second on a prime, and then lost the other two. I kept passing other girls, some more than once... twice.. I felt sweat on my face. Wtf? That much? Nope. It started raining. The officials confused the hell out of me and didn't ring the bell when I had a lap to go. So, I asked them. They said keep going. Bleh. I went. As I passed the finish line, one of the officials said, "Now you're done with the leading lap. You were the only one the first two leaders didn't lap. Good job." SWEET! I think the fact that I rode really right, fast corners helped me a lot since the other two girls took extremely wide turns.

Placing: 3rd out of 15. My first cycling podium finish! ON A HILLY CRIT!

The race was a lot of fun. I got to spend time with some teammates, left the valley for a little, and had got a 3rd place! Overall, I had a great time. It was the hardest race I've ever ridden (both road and crit), and one of the funnest!

No comments: