Sunday, June 6, 2010

Ladies' Crit Practice, Sierra Century 2010, and Ladies' Social Ride

Crit Practice
So, on Thursday (June 3rd), we had a women's only crit practice. John Collins organized it, as he does with most crit practices, coed or not. It was mostly a skills practice in which we rode while touching each other's shoulders as we were riding the course and then touching elbows (since there are no personal bubbles in crits), "attacking" from the middle, and bunny hopping. Yup. I now know who to bunny hop over things and I'm having a blast with it. I may have to true my wheels again, but it's a lot of fun. Good thing I have a monster 22-pound bike with very heavy wheels, not those flimsy ones :P Over all, it was a great practice and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Sierra Century 2010
What a fantastic ride! The Sacramento Wheelmen have always put on a great ride, and I'm glad I rode it again this year, this time with my great boyfriend. I greatly enjoyed the ride and looking back on it, it wasn't as hard as it was last year.
In 2009, I was riding most hills on a 30-25. This year, I rode the steep hills on a 39-28, and only used the 28 when I needed to. It was a lot hotter this year, too. I remember that I started out with a jacket last year, and this year I started out with my sleeveless jersey at 7:30am! I think that it wasn't until mile 30 or so that I had to take my jacket off during the 2009 century, and that's because we had started the climbing.

Around mile 82, the descent starts, which is a lot of fun! I think that the descents are why I enjoy climbing so much; it's well worth it when you can ride 40+mph down some great hills with great scenery.

The "dinner" was fantastic as well, even though I wasn't as hungry as I should have been because the weather spiked from being in the high 70's to low 80's up to 92 degrees yesterday. I drank a lot of water, which got hot very quickly in those bottles, but it's still water and I still drank it (haha!).

The rest stops were well stocked and had enough water to go around. Even the last of the stops had enough of everything, even though we skipped the very last rest stop and decided to ride to the finish (it was mile 87, with mostly descents and flats. We had food and enough water, so we decided to ride through). I think that I'll be riding the Sierra Century in 2011. It's one of the best rides in the area.





The Team Revolutions Women's Social Ride
Team Revolutions hosted a women's only ride today, June 6. We had a fantastic turn out! I wasn't expecting to have so many ladies come to the ride, and it's
great that we had such a large turn out. I volunteered to help "lead" the Cat 3 women, and we rode up to Beal's Point and then around Lake Natoma. When we hit the Negro Bar staging area, there was an ambulance and a crowd. I saw my boyfriend walk from behind the ambulance and I thought, "Oh, great! Was his silly ass involved in a crash?" He walked to up to me since the group slowed down (we don't need more crashes) and he told me that there had been a heart attack. Apparently there were two men running and the one in front had said that his chest started to hurt and then fell face first. His running partner tried to wake him up, which is when Randy rode up to them and asked them if they were okay. The conscious runner said that no, they needed help. Someone had called 911 but was on hold, while another person said that the rangers weren't too far ahead. Randy then rode up to them and told them what was going on, so the rangers called their dispatch and got an ambulance on the way. In the mean time, two of our Team Revolutions women, Shannon Beretta and Heidi, did CPR on the collapsed runner. I rolled my group right through the scene since the ambulance was already there; there was no need for a huge crowd. Hopefully the runner is doing okay.

The rest of the ride wasn't as eventful (hey, not a bad thing!) and we rode back up to Folsom Bike and Grind where we had some yummy Folsom Grind drinks and socialized. It was great meeting a lot of the Team Revolutions women (I ride a lot with the guys, so it was a nice change), and it was fantastic catching up with the women I haven't seen in a long time (such as Cathy Kastner and Shannon Beretta).

I'm sure that there will be more fun to come. The weather is getting to be fantastic and more and more riders are coming out.

Another fantastic weekend down in the books. Just what the doctor ordered to prepare us for the week!

No comments: