Monday, January 28, 2013

Cal Aggie Race Report

On January 26th, I decided to race the Cal Aggie Criterium. It was my first P/1/2/3 race. For the three days prior to the race, I was hoping that the pros in the race would at least be kind enough to use some lube for the ass raping that they were going to put on the field. Also, as awesome as it was to be in the same race as them, it's January 26th... isn't it too early to be raping people? Go away. (I say that in a loving manner... sort of.)

I wasn't really looking forward to the race. The course is okay, though not the most awesome. In fact, I don't think I've ever had an awesome race there. I've had a fun time there, but I've never left that course saying, "DUDE I HAD SUCH AN AWESOME TIME!!!" Nope, it's always just been... meh.


And that's pretty much what I probably looked like before the race. I wasn't excited and I was terrified because I was racing against some pretty fast women. I should have just stayed in the 4s or something. I'd gladly take a bunch of sandbags... I have a truck; do you know how many sandbags I can fit in that thing? 

Okay, so I was warming up while Boyfriend was racing (he got 3rd in the Masters 1/2/3, by the way). Then, I took a lap after his race was over and I lined up. When the whistle was blown, I apparently forgot how to clip in. Yeah, so that was good. Good job, Kay. Good effin' job. 

On lap 2, one of the pros decided to attack and got on a break with some other super fast girls, so most of the 3s were left in in the field. And yeah... I mean, my legs are still in the building/base mode, so they didn't even try to respond to that acceleration. Bummer.

Thanks to Dale Tapley for the photo!
The good thing is that I know that I can keep up with the 3s and a few 2s. The game is totally different, though. It's more about tactics than muscle. In the 4s, I was able to muscle my way into the podium and the win. Not so much anymore. I'm going to have to race smarter, not just stronger. 

I got 10th in this race. I wasn't too bummed out about it since it was my first race in a completely new category, racing with Pros and 1/2s, and it was the longest crit I've ever done. It was a 50 minute crit. I'm used to racing 30-35 minute crits. Usually, after a crit, I can go out for a ride and get a good workout in. On Saturday, I couldn't. My legs were fried because I actually tried in this race. Which is awesome! I actually tried at something and I got a good workout at the race, but that has its issues...

I find that intelligence and length/toughness of ride have a negative correlation. The harder and longer the ride, the lower the intelligence. 

And that's kind of what happened after the race. We watched the P/1/2/3 race since a bunch of teammates were in that race and I wanted to cheer them on. After the race, the only thing I could think of was going to Chipotle to get a burrito. That's it. That's all I wanted. And I got one. 

Basically, this race pretty much kicked me hard. It was a lot of fun, I learned a lot, and I'm glad that I'm now in a tougher category. However, I think this lady has the right idea about working out...


That looks pretty smart. 

No comments: