Tuesday, September 28, 2010

TBF Duathlon (and a Henleyville Road Race Correction)

First, the Henleyville Road Race correction: I apparently crossed the finish line in 7th place. Hey, not bad!

Now to the September 26 duathlon!

Goal: Finish.

This was my first duathlon! The race was a 2-mile run, 13-mile road bike ride, and a 5-mile run. The 2-mile run was nice an easy, a good warm up. I wasn't in the front, mostly because I hadn't run a month and a half prior to this race (I know, smart). Got done with the first leg and into the transition area. I felt good, considering I hadn't really run much.

I got on the bike and started the course. It was a good one, hillier and windier than I expected. I was able to pass a lot of people from my group on the bike leg, which you'd hope so otherwise. The only issues were that it was windy and the road had debris in it... add a bunch of triathletes (c'mon, guys. We all know that most triathletes have NO bike-handling skills) and it could be a huge disaster. Well, it wasn't, from what I saw. A few people kept in communication (on your left, gonna pass, etc), most didn't. And for the most part, riders kept on their side of the road. No accidents! I kept my legs at a high cadence so I didn't tire them out for the third leg.

To the transition area and the 5-mile run! My legs were feeing it but that's what's supposed to happen, right? Anyway, I started my run and started out easy. Got into a good rhythm and got going. This part of the race was HILLY. Down, up, down. Really steep down where I plainly said, "They want to kill us!" We went all the way to the levees, then started running back UP to the water tower. Guess who walked part of that? Most runners, hah! We ran on the beach, we ran up to the tower, and then down... which again, most people thought it was TBF trying to murder us. But after the downhill part that followed the water tower, we had a flat area, and then to the 4-mile marker. A bunch of people cramping, some walking, some looking like they were too hot (welcome to autumn at 97 degrees!), and other just looked like they were in absolute pain. Some had fallen on the downhill, all us were dirty from trail running. I was making jokes.

I was feeling it. Two old injuries flared up. At the 4-mile marker, I was wondering, "Why in the hell am I hurting so much?" Then it hit me. I grabbed the wrong shoes. How could I do that, you ask? I grabbed the correct shoes as in for running, but I grabbed my new, unbroken in pair. I have run maybe a mile in them to try them out. Yeah, it was a total face-palm moment for me.

To the finish line and I was happy to see it. I finished the race is 2 hours and 16 minutes. I saw Randy, who gave me a hug and kiss even though I was really dirty and soaked (all sweaty!). I grabbed some water, sat on the grass, took my shoes off, poured some water on my feet, and relaxed.

We didn't stick around much. Hell, it was a free race for me (I volunteered in a previous race so I used my volunteer voucher for this race) and I didn't think I had a chance of an award at all. I got my bike and since I saw Randy's parents waiting in the truck, I took that as a "let's go" so we left. We went to The Habit, where I had a yummy burger, went back home, I showered, hung out with Randy's parents, and when they left, I apparently passed out.

The next morning, I checked to see my results. I apparently got first place in my age group! Sweet! But damn! My first podium finish and I wasn't there for the award. Oh well, that just means I have to do it again next time. I e-mailed TBF and they said that I just gotta send in $10 for postage and whatnot and they'll send me my award. Woo!!!

Results:
1st out of 3 in my age group.
6th out of 17 women.
25th out of 42 racers overall.

What I learned:
- I can run. Not as well as I used to before my accident (good-bye 6:30-min mile!), but I'm getting better.
- Don't forget the BROKEN IN SHOES for a race and grab the wrong ones!
- I can push myself so much more than I give myself credit for.
- Having fun always brings the best results.

So, this race marks the end of my season. My first race next year is going to be the TBF Duathlon on January 8th, so I'm looking forward to it! Now I just have to reflect on this season.. so, until next time!

No comments: