Sunday, September 12, 2010

Cyclebration 2010

Friday: TT

Goals: Set PR.

I discovered that day that I was able to go to class AND race the TT. At first I thought that I would have to skip school (ahem) to get to the TT on time. Nope! So, I got to fry my brain AND my body in one day!


My start time was 5:18:30. I got there, got my packet, socialized (a lot), and went back to the car, changed, and got my bike ready. As I was looking around, pretty much everyone and their mother had a TT bike, aero-helmet, booties... they were decked out. I had my clip on aero-bars :) Either way, I was still intimidated a bit because, holy crap, everyone has awesome gear/stuff/know how to actually TT.


I warned up enough and headed to the start. I got there with 3 minutes to my start, went up, and away I went. The conditions were pretty much perfect. The wind wasn't strong (which is rare for that canal), and it wasn't hot. It was an ideal TT day!


My speed was good going out, turned around it was the same coming back. Only two ladies passed me (all decked out!) who had a LOT of experience. I got to the finish, saw my time, and knew I set a PR! Average speed of about 22mph, which is the fastest I've gone on that TT and a time of 30:02 minutes on an 11-mile course. Of course, it took a LONG time (close to 2 hours) to get our times because there was an issue with the Pro men and a protest, but we eventually got our times. Some of us were getting cranky, but oh well.


Overall, I think my preparation for this was pretty good. Going out and TT'ing and doing some long,

high-intensity riding on the trails. I know I can definitely improve for next season and I think I got some good ideas!


Placing: 12 out of 22 women. Not bad for my first official TT ever!

Goal achieved!


Saturday: Criterium

Goals: Finish with the main group. Do not crash.


This was nerve wracking at first. The crit is the race that I have been stressing over because I've never ridden in a pack in a race. This was my first crit, so I was excited and nervous. I met up with Karen and Andrea, who also raced in the CAT-4 women, and warmed up on the trainers. John, Randy, Mike, and other teammates were there.


We went to the line up and found out that we had a mentor. Awesome! The ref was going over laps and points, which I didn't understand (until Randy explained AFTER the race). We went on a neutral lap, stopped, and then started the race. Oh man... THAT was what I was looking forward to.


I was near the back during the beginning of the race. I didn't know what the hell I was doing, so I just chilled (hah!) and scoped out what was going on. The more I was into the race, the better I felt. So, I moved up a bit. The gals would sprint and attack, then recover, sprint, recover. I kept up. Seeing Karen and Andrea there helped a LOT! Seeing familiar and friendly faces helped calm down the nerves.


Before I knew it, we had 3 laps to go on our 40-minute race. On the second to

last lap, I got boxed in. In the corner, I was able to get out and attack with the lead group. I heard John yell, "MOVE UP!!!" The girls took off and I drafted one girl to the finish and was about half a wheel from getting ahead of her (later discovered that she was a state champ). I didn't shift on the sprint, which I tend to do (a tip from Joan on our last practice) and it paid off, I think! My HR was 197 bmp on that sprint, which I think was from nerves, excitement, and the fact that I actually SPRINTED and was able to hold it (I've NEVER been a good sprinter).


Took a recovery lap (hurr my heart was coming out of my throat!), talked to some of the women, found out I met and chatted with the winner at the Winters Road Race, chatted with Karen, and went to our mentor meeting. She didn't have anything negative to say! Really, this group was fantastic, and it was great to have such an awesome group who knew how to corner and communicated a lot. From what I hear, it's rare for CAT-4 women to be that good at bike-handling and communication. I think that this was a fantastic first crit for me!


Socialized some (because I totally don't know how to do that), watched some of the guys represent Team Revs in their race, talked to Heather, and then headed to Randy's short track race (but first we got some Starbucks).


What I thought of my preparation for this? I think it was great! John and Joan helped us so much to prepare for a crit and I can't thank them enough. I'm so glad I went to practices and asked a lot of questions (some really dumb ones at times, but hey, I need to learn, haha!). So glad to have such awesome teammates who are willing to help us!


Placing: 8th out of 19 women.

Goal more than achieved!


Sunday: Circuit Race

Goal: No crashing, make turns, finish with pack.

Okay, I was REALLY nervous for this one. On this course, you go over two bridges in Folsom: Rainbow Bridge and the American River Bridge. Everyone has been telling me how fun and awesome this course is. The catch? Two hairpin turns... we all know how good of a turned I am.


No.


I took two warmup laps with Mike and Karen (Karen and I were the two Team Revs women racing it). After going through the turns, I felt okay and more nervous. On the corner to Rainbow Bridge, a lot of water had spilled. Ugh.


We started late, but that's okay.. it kept my "nervous energy" up (aka HOLYSHITI'MGOINGTODIE!). 19 women in our group. Whistle blew. First hairpin, a Metromint girl crashed, but jumped

right back on her bike and caught us. Down to the first bridge. Slowish lap. We were feeling everything out. Most of the women in this group were in the crit, so it was a good group, except they were a bit shadier in the hairpins. I got caught on the inside of the hairpin once and lost way too much momentum, but was able to keep it up and catch the pack.


On one of the laps (3rd to last, I believe), the pack suddenly slammed on the brakes for some reason, at the moment I was going 26 mph, and I locked up my brakes. That was the biggest, "Oh shit I'm going to die and go down and I'm taking two girls down with me!" After a lot of skidding and a LOT of fishtailing, I was able to keep my bike up and continue with the race.


Second to last lap, feeling it. The speed went up. I kept up though.


Last lap, the pace REALLY went up. I was able to keep up, got caught in a corner, and lost a bit of the pack, but kept up for the most part. Lost a little in the corner since a girl cut me off, but the Metromint girl who crashed told me to get on her wheel and she pulled me up. How awesome is that? Caught up with another lady, and got her on the sprint after the last hairpin turn.


Average Speed: 20 mph.

Max Speed: 32 mph.

Place: 13th out of 19.

HR: 190 - 195 on average.

Goal achieved!


After the circuit, I hung out with my teammates while waiting for results. Socialized (see a trend here?) and saw our CAT-5 teammates race, and they kicked ass and took names! Those guys were punishing the group!


Then I was told that I should "be careful with [my] back tire." Eh? Oh.. when I locked up my brake, I put a hole in my tire. Sweet! Battle wound on my bike from my first circuit! Not so sweet that I have to replace it, but oh well! I know... I have an oddly positive way of looking at things. I'm like this with almost everything ;)


Got my results. Omnium placing? 8th place. Not too shabby for my first omnium ever!


Things I learned:

- I can ride in a pack.

- My bike handling skills are better than I give myself credit for.

- I can ride at higher speeds for longer than I thought.

- I can push myself to limits I didn't even know I had!

- I'm going, no AM, addicted to this, and I want more more more!!


This weekend was AMAZING. I can't believe how much fun it was and how much I learned. Having a team there, cheering, riding with me, and giving pointers and helping out was the best thing a rookie like me could ask for. I know I joined the right team.


Here's to another race down. Henleyville, here I come!!

1 comment:

Heather Nielson said...

I'm really proud of you Kasea! You have specific goals, pay attention during the race and pat yourself on the back when you've reached your goals and most of all, you have a fabulous time racing your bicycle...VERY IMPORTANT!