Thursday, September 2, 2010

Bandit




Yesterday, September 1st of 2010, we took our dog, Bandit to the vet. He was 15-1/2 years old and very ill, so we decided that it was only fair for him. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do...

I've worked for vets, small and large animal. I've seen the procedure and I know what goes on, but this was so much harder. I didn't know the other pets, and it was very sad, I didn't have a connection with them. This time, as soon as I entered the vet's office, I couldn't s
top crying. It was hard not to.

My family and I have had Bandit since he was born.
He was no bigger than the palm of our
hand and was a fluff ball. You couldn't see his legs or anything! It was as if a fluffy thing was walking around, barking at everything. He barked at shadows, noises, wind, lint balls, and us. He was mean and bit me several times, would push me off of the couch, and would make me carry him on walks because he was too tired to move. He'd run around the house like a mad man for absolutely no reason, in circles, all over the place. He'd eat tomatoes and chili peppers that our neighbor used to throw over the fence when he lived next door to us. Bandit also loved dried up worms on sidewalks... yeah, I know. He didn't like his paws being touched. He'd howl if you sang or made high-pitched noises, but his howl was so funny that we couldn't help ourselves (think Steve Urkel howling). Cou
ldn't teach him a trick, except for "sit." Loved food, any food. He was confused for a "baby Saint Bernard" multiple times... one girl even called him a cat. My mom called him a termite because he was a wood chewer as a puppy. Anti-chew sprays attracted him. The only thing that worked for him was a really hot chili pepper. Still, what dog loves anti-chew sprays!? I called him my little Gremlin because he always made weird noises like Gremlins did.. and he was tiny and adorable one moment, and then BAM! He'd play around and go in "attack mode" and run all over the place.

Bandit was so full of character. He made us laugh a lot and provided us a lot of company. Even though he was a grumpy dog, anytime I felt sad, he'd come over to me and sit and lick my face (he was a licker!) and comfort me. He knew how to do it and was good at it.

I'll miss you, buddy. You'll always be with us. Hopefully your trip over the rainbow bridge was a fun one.
Rest in Peace, my little Gremlin. Thank you for all of the love you gave us.
March 1995 - September 2010

No comments: