Saturday, July 17, 2010

On Bikes and Horses



So, one of my Team Revs teammates asked me to re-write up the etiquette that bikes should follow around horses. A guy scared a horse and it bucked off his rider on a multi-use trail, and even though it's multi-use, I just went to an immediate "Oh crap!" because horse people are crazy when it comes to the safety of their horses. If my horse were to get hurt because of some carelessness on etiquette, I'd go crazy on them. Hell, I HAVE. Most horse people treat their horses as if they were their CHILDREN. There are the assholes who mistreat them and abuse them, but that's a different story.

I posted on the team's forum. Here it is:


"First off, congrats, Jack! I'm glad you enjoyed your first mountain bike ride! While I haven't been out on the dirt much, I'd be lying if I said that I'm not getting addicted. This asphalt rider enjoys dirt, too! Jeanie mentioned to maybe post about the etiquette again (I posted about it last year, too) on your thread, so here it is!

We ride a lot in the Granite Bay/Auburn/Cool area. There are a LOT of horse people in these areas. Auburn hosts the Tevis Cup, a 100-mile ride that has to be done in 24 hours or less. Horse people are serious in these areas! The Granite Bay trails are right by Boarding at the Lake and Los Lagos Equestrian Center, so you'll see some people riding at all hours of the day (night time rides are fun!).

While it'd be nice if everyone had an awesome, calm, and experienced horse out on the trail, and while it'd be nice if every horse person knew how to handle/control their horses, it's not always so. I've trained a lot of young horses out there and the only way to make them experienced and calm is to take them on the trail. I did that with my horse. I've heard a lot of horse people complain about mtb'ers out there not yielding, coming up too fast on horses, spooking them, etc. Fact is that out there, horses have the right of way, and while it's annoying, it's the way it is. There have been a bunch of complaints about rude riders out at Granite Bay recently
Sad

So, you encounter a horse. The etiquette is:
1) Yield. Like I said, it's annoying, but it's better than getting ticketed or having people complain to the rangers and then having the rangers threaten to close the trail to bikes. The older the horseback rider, the more they're going to stick to the "rules" and the bigger chance of them complaining. The younger the rider, the higher the chance that they'll want to race you and your bike (I do this all of the time!). I yield to bikes when I can and because my horse is well-trained, and if possible, a race would be in the books
Wink

2) If you see a horse, TALK. Say "hi" or "how are you." As much as I love horses, they're not the smartest. They can't focus on objects quickly, so they spook. They're prey animals and it's wired in them to flee if they think something will attack them (dogs, bikes, cars, shadows...). This can be dangerous to riders who don't have good riding skills or if they don't have an independent seat (meaning that it takes a LOT for them to get dumped). Once a horse hears the voice of a human, they most likely calm down.

3) Ask if it's okay to pass.

4) Be aware on sharp turns where you can't see ahead. If you run into a horse, hit one, etc., you're in for a world of pain, and not just physically. Horse people get MEAN if their horses get hurt (even if they don't get hurt, but more-so if they do! lol).

5) Some of us train TWO horses at a time. I've done it, especially with bran new horses. I ride my experienced horse and lead the other horse. That can get tricky and please, please COMMUNICATE. It's safer for you and the horses and the handlers.

I know it's annoying to have to stop, but it's a lot easier to stop a bike than a 1,200 pound animal that could freak out. One kick from them and you'll be off of the bike for a long time. I ride with mtb'ers while I'm on my horse. I've taught kids and I teach them to share the trail, but unfortunately the older generation of horsemen/women don't see it as we do (basically fun because we get to race!). I enjoy the distractions because it desensitizes my horse to chaos, and it helps when out on races or competitions. I take it as a training tool, but again, not everyone sees it that way. It hurts a lot to get dumped off of a horse... it hurts even more if they step on you. It's dangerous because the rider can easily break something and the horse can take off and run into a busy street (again, they're prey animals).

Just be friendly. The friendlier you are, the bigger the chance that someone will return the smile. Please communicate. The trails will be a LOT more fun if we all cooperate. The more we cooperate, the less tension the disciplines will have, and the more fun we will all have. Horses will not be leaving the trails and neither are bikes, so we might as well all get along! And if you ever see me out there and you're up for some racing, don't be afraid to ask
Wink"


I'm just hoping that this gets through people. It'd be nice if people would get their heads out of their asses (and this is to BOTH disciplines) and just cooperate. People are going to wind up losing, and from what it seems (I've volunteered and have been talking to the rangers at the parks), the Cool/Granite Bay areas are going to cater to the horses, which would be a shame, because those are awesome trails for both horseback riding and mountain biking.


Hey, let's hope that people start to cooperate. I can spread the word all I can. I love BOTH disciplines, so I'll do my best to educate people!

No comments: